- When creating an iCloud account you can use any Apple ID provided it is a full email address and not a MobileMe account. If you have a MobileMe account, you can copy data from that account to an iCloud account to use during testing. You can find more information on iCloud at: http://developer.apple.com/icloud
- When setting up an iCloud or MobileMe account using the setup assistant and leaving Find My iPhone on, it might actually turn Find my iPhone off after the setup. Please verify in Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendar/YourAccount that Find my iPhone is toggled On after leaving the setup assistant.
- It is recommended that you disable Bookmarks on multiple accounts. If they are enabled, the results might be undefined.
- FIXED: In this beta the option of “Choosing a security question” is not working during an iCloud account setup.
- Starting in iOS 5, video content in applications and websites are AirPlay-enabled by default.
- iOS 5 supports AirPlay of video via AV Foundation.
- Switching into AirPay Video while using mirroring will leave the screen black but the video is still playing.
- Apple TV Software beta enables users to mirror the contents of an iPad 2 to an Apple TV (2nd generation) using AirPlay. This beta software also enables Photo Stream on Apple TV so users can access photos stored in iCloud. Apple TV Software beta is being provided to test the latest AirPlay functionality with your iOS 5 apps and web sites. If you wish to install Apple TV Software beta on your device, you must first register your device UDID in the iOS Developer Program Portal.
- There is no new build for AppleTV for beta 4. Please continue using the build provided with beta 3.
- Using voice chat in iOS 5 requires setting the kAudioSessionMode_VoiceChat mode on the Audio Session, or setting the AVAudioSessionModeVoiceChat mode on the AVAudioSession object.
- All MobileMe calendars were duplicated after turning calendar syncing off and back on.
- FIXED: Restoring from a Seed 1 backup or earlier will cause MobileMe/iCloud calendars not to sync. Subscribed calendars will show up in Calendars but none of your event calendars will appear in MobileCal. To workaround the problem please remove and re-add the account.
- If SnowLeopard isn’t syncing your calendars on iOS device and you created a calendar or reminders list using a previous iOS 5.0 seed, change the name of that calendar or list on the iOS device and then let it sync.
- In this beta Birthday calendar is temporarily disabled for Web apps and Windows and will be available in a future release.
- NEW: In MobileMe local contacts are deleted instead of be being merged.
- In this beta Import/Export vCard is disabled from Action menu and will be available in future release.
- Match data for turn based matches is currently limited to 4 KB of data.
- When both Wifi and 3G are disabled (i.e. in Airplane mode) sometimes GameKit can cause the connection in a local Bluetooth match to fail.
- iBooks 1.2.2 may fail to display some text or images in books. Please update to iBooks 1.3 in the App Store.
- As this is beta software, it is recommended that you do not use the iCloud services to store any critical data or information. If you enable iCloud Backup, automatic backup with iTunes when syncing will be disabled. We suggest you also manually back up your device with iTunes. It is strongly advised you upgrade to this version of the iOS 5 beta in order to continue backing up your devices and preserve previous backups.
- During the iOS 5 beta period, any documents stored on the servers might be purged periodically before GM. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you do not store any critical documents or information on the servers.
- If your application is using the NSMetadataQuery class, you must set a predicate, even though the predicate itself is ignored.
- The Foundation framework doesn’t include the team ID when looking for an app’s mobile documents container. The Team ID must be included at the beginning of the identifier string passed to theURLForUbiquityContainerIdentifier: method.
- In this beta, the setSortDescriptors: method of NSMetadataQuery is not supported.
- In this beta, if you want to use iCloud, you have to manually specify various container identifiers (your application’s Display set) within an Entitlements file for both of your Mac OS X and iOS projects.
- There are issues using the Cloud Storage document API in conjunction with protected data which can lead to data corruption.
- In this beta, document-based applications cannot always detect when files change, move, or are deleted out from underneath them.
- NEW: In this beta, file presenters (objects that adopt the NSFilePresenter protocol) do not receive some of the messages that they’re supposed to receive, especially:
- You can workaround this by implementing the relinquishPresentedItemToWriter: method and checking to see if the writer actually wrote when your file presenter reacquires. You can also use FSEvents to observe file system changes
- In this beta, messages about changes to files in a directory are not getting delivered to objects that adopt the NSFilePresenter protocol.
- While reporting a bug related to the iCloud storage interfaces, please include the logs collected during your debugging session. To generate these logs, you must install a special debug profile on your device.The debug profile can be obtained from http://connect.apple.com. This profile enables the generation of debug logs that are needed to diagnose any problems using iCloud storage. The instructions to collect the logs are:
- Install the profile. (The easiest way to do this is to mail it to yourself and open the attachment on their device.)
- Reproduce the bug.
- Sync with iTunes to pull the logs off your device.
- Attach the logs to your bug report. You can find the logs in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/DeviceName/DiagnosticLogs.
- These logs can grow large very quickly, so you should remove the profile after you have reproduced the problem and pulled the logs for the bug report.
- NEW: File names in iCloud Storage are case sensitive.
- NEW: iMessage beta 1 will be unable to communicate with iMessage users on beta 2 or later.
- The version of iTunes that comes with beta 4 cannot sync devices that have the beta 2 software installed. To avoid this problem, do the following:
- Sync any devices that have beta 3 installed to the version of iTunes that came with beta 4.
- Upgrade iTunes to the version that comes with beta 4.
- Connect the device and install the beta 4 software. (Understand that you might see a failure to sync error when you first connect the device.)
- After installing the beta 4 software, restore from your the backup you made in step 1.
- Videos purchased from the iTunes Store do not play on a 2nd generation AppleTV over AirPlay with iTunes 10.5.
- NEW: The startMonitoringSignificantLocationChanges method of CLLocationManager does not cause applications to be resumed or launched in the background for significant location change updates. However, if a backup from a previous software version (where an application was monitoring significant location changes) is restored to the device, significant location change monitoring will continue to cause that application to be resumed or launched in the background.
- NEW: Forwarding a message with attachments included does not attach the file and the message compose screen does not change from “Loading….”
- NEW: Some songs are missing their album artwork after changing the device library via syncing.
- NEW: In iOS 5.0 beta 4, several OpenGL extensions have been moved from the APPLE namespace to the EXT namespace, causing some API to be renamed. The altered extensions are EXT_color_buffer_half_float,EXT_occlusion_query_boolean, EXT_separate_shader_objects, EXT_shadow_samplers, EXT_texture_rg, EXT_debug_label, and EXT_debug_marker.
OTA Software Update
- NEW: If you are doing a OTA software update from beta 3 to beta 4, you will need to re-sync your photos with iTunes.”
- NEW: In this beta iPhone 4 device cannot join personal hotspot even if it is on due to a non functional WiFi tethering on these devices.
- If you apply red-eye adjustments in iOS, and import your image into the iPhoto seed build, the red-eye adjustments will not appear on that image in iPhoto. As a result, subsequent syncing of your image back to the iOS device from iPhoto will not show the red-eye adjustments.
- FIXED: In this beta FaceTime icon is missing in Settings on the iPhones.
- NEW: Location services are not functional in iOS 4.3 simulator running on Mac OS 10.7 with Xcode 4.2.
- Push and local notifications for apps appear in the new Notification Center in iOS 5. Notification Center displays notifications that are considered “unread.” In order to accommodate push and local notifications that have no “unread” status, developers can use their application badge count to trigger a clearing of notifications from Notification Center. When an application clears its badge count (by setting it to zero), iOS 5 will clear its notifications from Notification Center.
- NEW: iOS 5.0 terminates VoIP applications that are resumed in the background for incoming network traffic with extreme frequency. Developers are encouraged to make sure all incoming data is read from VoIP sockets to avoid this condition.
- NEW: When tweeting your location from Safari and exiting before the location can be established, the location arrow will stay in the status bar. The arrow can be removed by killing Safari from the task switcher.
- NEW: Instruments overwrites the loaded automation script, even if another program is editing it.
- The play and record buttons in the Automation instrument script editor may not work properly after targeting an application that was launched by a trace session and has ended. They may also not work if you target an application that was suspended. If you run into this problem and it persists, you may need to close and reopen the trace document to get back into a functional state.
- When capturing actions into a script using the Automation instrument, interfaces with web views or table cells that contain a high number of off screen elements may take an extremely long time before returning with an expression.
- The lock () and unlock() functions of UIATarget have been replaced with the lockForDuration(
- FIXED: Instruments overwrites the loaded automation script, even if another program is editing it.
- Starting in iOS 5 beta 2, you can now trigger the execution of an UI Automation script on an iOS device from the host terminal by using the instruments tool. The command is:
- instruments -w
- When using the cli instruments for UI Automation you can now target the default Automation Template and pass the script and results path into the tool as environment variable options. For example:
- instruments -w
-t /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/Instruments/PlugIns/AutomationInstrument.bundle/Contents/Resources/Automation.tracetemplate -e UIASCRIPT
- The guys over Macrumors noted that iOS 5 beta 4 over-the-air update is 133 MB while the full version is 824 MB.
Over-the-air software update is downloading code that has changed only. Over-the-air update on iOS 5 beta 4 saves about 700 MB of downloading. Thanks Apple 😉
- New amazing feature has been ported for the first time to iOS-based devices via iOS 5 beta 4. Apple has just announced that iOS 5's WiFi-sync functionality is now available with Windows PCs starting from iOS 5 beta 4.
In iOS 5 beta 4, wireless syncing is now available on Windows as well as the Mac (requires OS X 10.6.8 or Lion)You will see an option to enable wireless syncing when you connect your device to iTunes with the USB cable. It is recommended you perform your initial sync with a cable after restoring your device.”
- Apple has introduced OTA (Over-the-Air) feature which allows you to download iOS update directly to your iOS device without using iTunes. Unfortunately jailbroken device can't use OTA feature.
MuscleNerd of iPhone dev-team has confirmed that OTA update won't work on jailbroken devices due to an explicit check of Applications. MuscleNerd didn't give any other details, but I think this is a new challenge for iPhone dev-team.
Download iOS 5 Beta 4.
Via: [Source1, Source2, Source3]
If you found this post useful, dont forget to click the +1 button Below